Thursday, December 22, 2011

Remembering

On the twelfth of December 32 years ago, Holly was diagnosed with CF. Back then, I was afraid to hope that I would have 32 years with her, yet here we are, and I am so grateful. Before Holly's diagnosis I felt a sort of elation as Christmas drew near; it was my favorite time of year. Now, however, December is hard for me. I experience an intense sadness that dampens my spirits. This year, though, I'm trying to focus on the joy of the season, the joy of my two daughters and three precious granddaughters, and, not least of all, the joy of Holly's good health. Yes, she has her problems, but she is so much healthier than we ever dared hope all those years ago. And I am grateful. Those of us whose children are threatened by CF know what it is to live with fear. It is ever present in the backs of our minds. And, if we are wise, we never take one day, one breath for granted. I have had the privilege, the joy, of Holly for 32 1/2 years now. It's still not nearly enough. So I'm wishing, praying for another 32 healthy years. Merry Christmas, Holly, and thanks for sticking around.

No comments:

Post a Comment